Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The United States presidential election of 2016 was the 58th quadrennial presidential election. It was held on Tuesday, November 8, 2016. Republican Party nominee Governor John Kasich of Ohio and running mate Senator Marco Rubio of Florida defeated Democratic Party nominee Former Secretary Of State Hillary Clinton of New York and running mate Governor Terry McAuliffe of Virginia.
The incumbent president, Barack Obama, was ineligible to be elected to a third term due to term limits in the Twenty-second Amendment to the United States Constitution. At first, it seemed like a cake walk for Hillary Clinton. However, she only narrowly beat out Senator Bernie Sanders in the primaries. Hillary chose Terry McAuliffe who endorsed to be governor as her running mate.
In early 2016, it was believed Donald Trump would receive the nomination. However, after winning Ohio, John Kasich changed the game. He won the nomination and chose Marco Rubio as his running mate.
Despite the popularity of Clinton, this seemed to be a win for the Republicans. This is most likely thanks to the vice presidential choice who helped Trump win Florida.
- Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton of New York (Nominee)
- Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont
- Former Governor of Maryland Martin O'Malley of Maryland
- Former Governor Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island
- Former Senator Jim Webb from Virginia
- Donald Trump of New York
- Senator Marco Rubio of Florida
- Senator Ted Cruz of Texas
- Former Governor Jeb Bush of Florida
- Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey
- Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky
- Former Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas
- Ben Carson of Maryland
- Former Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania
- Carly Fiorina of California
- Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina
- Governor John Kasich of Ohio (Nominee)
- Former Governor Jim Gilmore of Virginia
- Former Governor George Pataki of New York
- Former Governor Bobby Jindal of Louisiana
- Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin
- Former Governor Rick Perry of Texas
Kasich would defeat Hillary narrowly.