Welcome to the Future Wikia Community Portal. This is the place to discuss the inner workings of Future Wikia.
Images from WikiCommonsEdit
These Crystal Clear images are all from WIkiCommons under "Icons". I've brought them here to spice things up a bit. --Yunzhong Hou 19:41, 19 November 2006 (UTC)
Articles from WikipediaEdit
I've recently added a string of (mostly unrelated) articles to this site from Wikipedia, which allows its content to be copied by other people at will. Take a look--there's a lot of interesting new information added to this site now, including several new pages and various improvements/additions to older articles. --Yunzhong Hou 22:37, 17 November 2006 (UTC)
In the last few days I've done a massive recategorization of this wikia's many pages. Please take a look at Special:Categories or alternatively the "Future Library" on the sidebar to see the categories we're going by. I've finally managed to nest categories one inside the other, as you will see at the top of that page. There are now only a few uncategorized pages--all of which are stubs--and also the page count has suddenly shot up with this page refreshment. --Yunzhong Hou 16:37, 12 November 2006 (UTC)
New Page: Help Create the FutureEdit
This page is to be a community hub for this wikia. It will contain a list of things for newcomers to see and do, as well as the featured article and library. Finally--and this is most important--it has a list of updates, and I hope that it can be useful as a means of finding out what we are doing lately. Instead of reporting improvements to the community portal, then, we can report it here.
Feature Article: Human Mind ProjectEdit
The Great Project for Unification. Psionics. Collaboration. Merging of the Mind. The Event that Defined the Twenty-first Century. Call it what you may, the Human Mind Project was to forever change civilization. How did it occur, and what obstacles did it have to overcome? What are its consequences? These are issues that the following documentary, following Yunzhong Hou's narrative, attempts to answer. ... (more)
Important Pages to SeeEdit
Things to DoEdit
View Our CollectionEdit
- Cataclysm--aftermath of an asteroid collision
- Nomenclature--a new method of naming chemicals
Explore the Future--All pages longer than 3000 bytes--pages longer than 10,000 bytes in bold--First see Standard Timeline
|Concepts||Changes (Categories)||Scenarios by Author||Continued|
• Artificial intelligence
The Community Portal has been split in a few pages. The page you are reading now is a place to discuss the Main Page or its elements: sidebar, templates, featured pages, site design, etc. Other discussions should be held in pages prefixed by FutureWikia:, such as these:
- FutureWikia:Mission Why does this site exist? What is the mission of Future Wikia?
- FutureWikia:Planning These are plans to improve Future Wikia.
- FutureWikia:Admins Future Wikia administrators and promotions.
- FutureWikia:Hosting Community discussion about the hosting of this wiki and other technical matters.
Past Discussions (Condensed) Edit
- Discussion of the 'Role' of this site; future articles; futurology techniques; and YES to stubs that collect links and comments, later to become articles.
- Jonathan Despres proposed moving to a different host and also had ideas about a school for studying the future. It hasn't happened here.
- "Looking for a version of this in Russian." -- User:Val -- Try http://rtd2.pbwiki.com/ Paranoid 11:37, 5 August 2006 (UTC)
- Discussion of User:RyanVG's problematic contributions. Consensus to improve the good ones and delete the really crappy ones.
- Announcement of substantial work and restructuring -- Yunzhong Hou 00:32, 27 August 2006 (UTC)
The Main Page Edit
Looks better than it did a few edits ago. Moving those three links up into the toolbar is good. Here are some other thoughts:
- White space is 'free' on a web page. Magazines use white space better than we do here. We should at least use it to give greater prominence to the quotation.
- I'm fine with having a 'featured article' on the main page. I don't like having an entry box for creating a new page. I'd rather people start by reading existing pages, then start changing them, and only then add new pages of their own.
These comments made JC 09:26, 15 October 2006 (UTC)
Sidebar and Templates Edit
We need to unify most of the pages in this wikia into four categories:
- Main, with the Main Page, Concepts, and Guideline, for which I have already designed a template;
- Concepts, with all of the conceptual articles, for which I have already designed a template;
- Predictions, with all of the non-scenario articles such as Religion, Rise of China, etc., which still needs a template if you won't mind lending a hand; and
- Scenarios, with all of the scenario articles (plus those that SHOULD be scenario articles) such as Battle of the Belt Outline, etc., which still needs a template if you won't mind lending a hand.
The New Sidebar Edit
As you may have noticed, the sidebar has been changing frequently nowadays. I've just recently adopted the current version, having now created many of its links, to make for easy access. Please use it to find articles that interest you.
It's divided into three categories:
- tutorial for starters--this is where the main page, Basics, and Advanced Concepts pages are located. It also has the Standard Timeline, a compilation of the most likely events to occur in the near future.
- explore the future--much like the older version of the Main Page's Explore the Future section, only this way it can be accessed from any page. It also has different stuff in it. The first one is the Feature Article, consisting of a redirect to the feature article. Then comes Template:Future called Main Articles, where registered users may add their pages if they're long. Then we have All Categories, which basically allows users to quickly reach Special:Categories. The next few are all the different categories on this site except for Stubs. This allows immediate access to pages having to do with Biology or Spacecraft for example. Finally, we have a Community Portal which leads to here.
- special pages--Special:Longpages gives the list of the longest (and usually the best) pages on this site while Special:Recentchanges allows users to see what the new changes are.
--Yunzhong Hou 23:10, 2 October 2006 (UTC)
The Other PagesEdit
Pages for DeletionEdit
All pages for deletion are reviewed by an Admin prior to deletion. Discussion about deletion of these pages should take place Here, and not on the individual pages.
- Scenario: Maternalistic world - Awful guesswork
Response: I've taken a serious look at this and eliminated bias. RyanVG 02:25, 29 August 2006 (UTC)
The Undeleted OnesEdit
I have made a few recent deletions. Those that do not cross the threshold of my personal deletion requirements are listed below. Basically, I went to each of the sites that were listed, and if they were poor then I deleted them and removed it from the list. The list that follows are those that I think can be debated. Along the way I deleted plenty of redirects, almost all of them to two particular pages (Matriarchal Society and Colonization of Space). --Yunzhong Hou 17:28, 9 September 2006 (UTC)
- Electromagnet-revised, makes sense now
- Matriarchal society-ok redirect
- Neopuritanism-ok redirect
- Tribalism-ok redirect
- Globalization-ok redirect
- World beat music-ok redirect
- Hedonism-modified to be less biased
- Colonization of space-ok redirect
- Recreational drug-modified to be less biased
Featured Articles Edit
Getting Attention to Good Articles Edit
If you find a good article, please post it here, on the Community Portal. We need to make our most prominent articles to the forefront so that they will be noticed. I've started doing this with categorizing our articles into one or more of the six main categories.
I've also established the handy Template:Future from which we can add long articles (longer than 3000 bytes). If an article is 10000 bytes, please make it bold on that template. Note that the template arranges things in alphabetical order.
Also note my Template:Feature which has the first part of the current feature article on it. Please update it from time to time, primarily by copy and pasting the first few lines of the feature article. In addition, then revise the redirect at the Feature Article page to the new article.
--Yunzhong Hou 23:04, 2 October 2006 (UTC)
The Next Feature Article Edit
The previous Feature Articles were, in chronological order:
What should we have for our next Feature Article? I'm thinking of one of the following:
- Standard Timeline
- Advanced Concepts
- Scenario: Human Mind Project
- Scenario: The War in Space Outline
The above candidates are longer than 20,000 bytes and have yet to be feature articles. Please tell me what you think should become the next Feature Article. Thanks. --Yunzhong Hou 20:34, 4 October 2006 (UTC)
Wanted Pages Edit
Site Bugs Edit
'Show Map' Edit
Anyone notice that annoying "show map" hyperlink that appears in the editing pages? Anyone know what it's all about? It keeps shifting the page down and I keep clicking on it by accident. --Yunzhong Hou 22:55, 2 October 2006 (UTC)
Design of the main page Edit
I just wanted to note that the design doesn't fit well in smaller windows (e.g. 800x600 screens or smaller windows). This isn't a big problem though. Paranoid 19:27, 9 October 2006 (UTC)
Other stuff Edit
250 Pages--This Time to Stay! Edit
We now have exactly 250 pages. And this time, I won't go and toss out the fifty totally empty pages all over again, because--I am glad to say--those stub-stub pages are already gone. This time the 250-page mark rolls around, every page has substance to it.
Congratulations to everyone! --Yunzhong Hou 20:11, 7 October 2006 (UTC)
Classic: New Standard Timeline Edit
I have recently created Classic: New Standard Timeline. The entire article is filled with link-text... literally. But there are some ugly spots that need work on. Please visit this page, choose a red link to work on, and save your contribution. These are idea-starters. Thanks! --Yunzhong Hou 21:42, 12 October 2006 (UTC)
Degree of confidence categories Edit
The proposed categorisation is as follows:
- factual - facts about state-of-the-art, realistic and likely forecasts (doesn't mean conservative). References and expert opinion.
- speculation - unlikely to happen (not plain nonsense - that should be deleted right ahead)
- scenario - unlikely, but possible chain of events
- fiction - a work of fiction, not realistic, but interesting
This can prevent contamination of factual well-researched articles with unrealistic scenarios (those can be linked of course) and pure speculation. Paranoid 13:09, 22 October 2006 (UTC)
Did a lot of categorizing... Paranoid 14:22, 22 October 2006 (UTC)
- That's great! It's just what we need, given the general shift from Books to Categories as a method of organizing the site. Here's a pointer: try to use only the categories we've already set up; that way, things are more organized. Thanks for your hard work. --Yunzhong Hou 23:45, 9 November 2006 (UTC)
- Thanks! As a kilo-contributor on this site, I'm glad that our work has been noticed by someone outside the immediate Wikia community. --Yunzhong Hou 23:44, 9 November 2006 (UTC)
Russian-language questions moved to FutureWikia:Hosting.
people building stuff that used to be science fiction Edit
Have you seen http://technovelgy.com/ ?
This page is absolutly horrible, and pages featured on the main page should not look like this, someone should take care of this, I just popped into here because a wiki on the future seemed interesting, but if pages are like this, it's not worth it. -- Mason11987 (T - C - E) 21:02, 3 December 2006 (UTC)
Future's second birthdayEdit
- Happy 2nd birthday, Future! (January 28) - Congratulations on your first 2 years, Philralph 16:31, 28 January 2007 (UTC)
Teklogs collaboration proposalEdit
Hi I'm from the Teklogs wikia. We're building a technology news site on Wikia. We're looking for users who can tip us off on news stories for us to write about, including articles about the future. Tcrow777 Talk | Teklogs 02:35, 13 December 2007 (UTC)
Others language? Edit
is this wikia in another languaje? who? where?, Alternatyve History wikia have in her main page easy acces to other language of the same , like russian. please anwser my about others languaje in my Talk--Fero 03:41, 2 October 2008 (UTC)
- hello again, i wan make a Future wikia in Spanish, like the Russian is, how i must do?, i can do the traslation languaje but create a new page with a new direction is the hard part, can someone do that base to me, i will continue that, like i am doing in the recently created (not by me) SpanishAlternativeHistoryWikia based in the old EnglishAlternativeHistoryWikia, thank U (aniway sorry for my english). I support www.futuro.wikia.com for the spanish page direction--Fero 22:16, 19 December 2008 (UTC)
- www.futuro.wikia.com ya existe y ahora es tiempo de crear su Portada/paginadeinicio en [www.futuro.wikia.com/Portada], cualquier ayuda es bienvenida, alli o en mi propia pagina de usuario www.futuro.wikia.com/Usuario:Fero, desde ya muchas gracias --Fero 18:15 4 ene 2009 (UTC)
Ademas, ayer descubri la existencia de esta wiki, bien elegida la direccion, un dia de estos pasare por aca a colaborar (NGE es mi anime), posdata si me ayudan con mi portada mejor XD, ya que ustedes hace poco crearon la suya, te recomiendo dejar un mensaje presentandote en algun rincon de mi futuro, promocionandote, pidienco colaboracion, exactamente como estoy haciendo aqui, esta permitido y no es dañino, nos vemos--Fero 18:20 4 ene 2009 (UTC)
- ¿como hago para q fururo.wikia.com/Portada sea mi pagina de inicio en esa wiki (como en todas las que estan en español) y no la actual futuro.wikia.com/Futuro?
- como hago para que el marco de mi pagina este como la de cualquier wikia con el cartel "Wikia" "Sciencie" arriba a la izquierda/derecha de la pantalla, sobre el logo de mi wikia, sobre el cosito que dice "Buscar en esta wiki" en lugar de ese horrible "FUTURO" en blanco y celeste que aparece actualmente ?
desde ya muchas gracias--Fero 18:35 4 ene 2009 (UTC)
- se supone que futuro es la version es español de inglesa futurE.wikia.com estuve pensando en copiar su portada y traducirla, que te parece?--Fero 18:55 4 ene 2009 (UTC)
yes in englishplease XD hi, i am creating the spanish version of Future, any help is wellcome, my work starged 2 hour ago, today 4-january-2009, we will see
- question, how i do futuro.wikia.com/Portada my main page in that wikia? Portada is the main page in almost everyone spanish wikia, now my main page is futuro.wikia.com/Futuro, that suck--Fero 19:22, 4 January 2009 (UTC)
Plantilla otros idiomas? Edit
400px como hago para que aparesca al costado de la portada un lista/tabla con todos los otros idiomas en lo que existe tal wikia, que plantillas tego que pegar para que aparesca esa barra en la portada de otras wikias que tienen versiones en otros idiomas, 24 por ejemplo --Fero 04:29 22 ene 2010 (UTC)
- el wiki tiene que existir y saber cual es su direccion.
- luego tienes que ir a w:Wikia:Interwiki requests y hacer tu solicitud
- esperar al domingo que es cuando revisan la pagina
- y a partir de eso si te conectaste con la wiki en español e inglesa en toda pagina en el wiki español agregas <code>[[en:NombreDeLaPagina]]</code> si solo pones <code>[[en:]]</code> enlazara al wiki ingles con el mismo nombre en el wiki en español.
- --Cizagna (Discusión) • Helper • Central hispana 16:38, 22 enero 2010 (UTC)
Why Dioes This Wiki EXist? Edit
Why Does This Wiki Even Exist, The Future is not happening yet, and we should just let it be, so this wiki should be closed!
Recent vandalism Edit
I find it appauling that as a user of this wikia I have to be subjected to my articles being vandalized and nothing being done about it! This wikia has over 1200 articles and not one active administrator! Something needs to be done about this and vandals such as Crypto457 and other unregistered users need to be blocked! History1 15:35, April 9, 2010 (UTC)
the futures ane unknow. God can only say when a person will die, the world will not end in 2012. -This unsigned comment was left by Khaled Tarabay, 21:25, the 13th of August, 2010.
- I'm afraid I have to disagree with this statement. Of cause there are random possibility's that cannot be predicted, but there is plenty with a probability high enough that it can be accurately predicted. Further, the purpose of this wiki is speculation, be this through scenarios, or through more conventional articals, so your statement is irrelevant. Moving on, of cause god is not the only one who can choose when a life ends. Now, I'm not religius, but are you seriously telling me that an all powerful entity, with the ability to control everything, chose that everyone who died in 9/11, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, WWII and WWI, trough torture, and every other horrific thing in this world, should die like that. It would mean that GOD, made people do these things. mass murders, like Hitler and Stalin, only did these things because of god? No, Christianity preaches that god loves everyone, if that were the case then he would not do such things. That would mean that people have not free will, and that is supposed to be the main reason that god does not intervene in everyone's life all the time, stopping them from doing bad things or such. So no, god is not the only one. Infact, as far as I'm concerned, he has nothing to do with it, but there's no point trying to convince you of his none existence, so there's a religious point of view for you. And as for last statement, well it's true, but that was a bit random. JosephK19 21:40, August 13, 2010 (UTC)
Redesign of this Wiki?Edit
On many of the older pages about rules, and on the main page, this wiki continually speaks of it being some sort of very scientific sort of wiki, with the majority of the pages being devoted to looking up trends and patterns, with Scenarios being carefully researched, highly plausible, even likely events. It stated that it sought to discourage Wiki-fiction, that this wiki was not a place for people to make up the future.
Nowadays, that is all that is left of this wiki. Most of the new pages are the many different "Scenarios" which are more pretty much just (mostly) realistic science fiction about the future. This wiki has, especially with the new map games, become the future version of the Alternate History Wiki.
I think that we should change the basic, underlying principles of the wiki, noted on the main page and several others, to reflect this change in the Wiki. Or, we could split this wiki in two, making a new "Future-fiction" wiki. Or, we should try and restore it to how it was before. A restoration will result in hundreds of pages being deleted, and I fear would destroy the tattered remains of this Wiki's community. LurkerLordB 16:37, February 19, 2011 (UTC)
- We change nothing. Business as usual. Thanks. --Jonano 17:30, March 2, 2011 (UTC)
- Well, I think Jonano's comment there was a fairly cheap way of getting out of having to make a contribution, you could atleast give some reasons and address the issues raised.
- I support the suggestions. In fact, I have had the same thoughts. I think that we should create a new "Possible-Future" wiki, pretty much the same as Alt-History. This Wiki should be about a genuine study of the future, with articles being based on current trends, studies and so on. At the very least we should implement a basic header for all scenarios. I also think we DESPERATELY need a new Admin/Bureaucrat who can help manage the site (even if we don't do the spilt, which is probably unlikely to happen), any suggestions as to who?. JosephK19 19:39, March 2, 2011 (UTC)
- Currently, we have no bureaucrats who have been active in several months, the only semi-active admin is Jonano, but he edits nothing but his own user page anymore. I guess we could request at the wiki site for someone to adopt the wiki, I currently think Ynot[insert numbers I can't remember] may be eligible.
Splitting the Wiki may be a good idea, it would require Jonano's help to delete all of the many "un-scientific" futurist scenarios, and would require all active users to cooperate (since that is the only activity on this site other than Jonano's edits to his own page). --LurkerLordB 23:07, March 2, 2011 (UTC)
Listen to me. If you try to destroy my page and my work. Than I wont pardon you. My page is 8 years old and I dont want to lost it. So be careful about that. I suspect you want to destroy my work and I can't trust you. Sorry, but this is business as usual. I'm open about the idea to delete un scientific pages however. It would be a matter of a day to delete all of them if there are like 500 pages as such. --Jonano 21:05, March 3, 2011 (UTC)
- Bloody hell! That's an overly harsh reaction. At no point has anything been said that even comes close to affecting your page. It's all on your own userpage anyway isn't it? Heck, I don't see how this effects anything you've done, just wanted an admin involved, which is why I think we need someone new. And no, it's not business as usual, not if we mess-up the basic format of the Wiki. Also, it would't be that hard to move the pages to another wiki, I'd be more then happy to do it, I just would't want to leave a load of "To be Deleated" pages. and btw, you don't need to be so defensive over your page, it's not like it would be hard to get it back, it's like 4 clicks and your done. JosephK19 21:26, March 3, 2011 (UTC)
- Jonano, I never said anything about destroying you page. I was simply stating that you don't do anything other than edit your page, so perhaps we should find a new admin who will be more active outside of his own page. Unless the new admin is some sort of psycho, then he would most likely not delete your page (but in case you fear that a new admin would cause damage to your page, you could back it up somewhere else). SInce you are an admin, you can protect your page against vandals. The making of the new wiki would not result in any pages getting deleted, your pages are arguably the most scientific currently active pages on the site. If we decided to change the rules of the wiki to allow the un-scientific pages, the only pages that would be changed would be a few things like the main page, the extended main page, the "how to make a good scenario" page and other rule pages. Although, making a new wiki could be a good idea, although we should have some sort of notice and waiting period for the pages to be moved before they are deleted. Sorry if I sounded like I did not like your page, many of the links you provide in your great big list are interesting, I simply thought that another admin might be useful (although if we do the split + delete, another admin would not be necessary) LurkerLordB 23:15, March 3, 2011 (UTC)
I can put many admin if you want, if this is what is needed, 3, or 5 new admins, there is no problem. Just tell me how I can do it and I will do it. But I personally think this wiki has the good name, future, I dont understand why there must a change for that. --Jonano 00:30, March 5, 2011 (UTC)
I don't think there should be a mass deletion the people who are propsing this are the few big time members who think that only their ideas should be displayed, I think sientific and non sientific articles should be encourged.Alexanders 02:19, March 19, 2011 (UTC)
So then do you agree that the front page, which currently discourages any non-scientific articles, should be changed? LurkerLordB 18:37, March 27, 2011 (UTC)
What is your defination of Non-Sientific sceneros?Alexanders 19:28, April 1, 2011 (UTC)
Scenarios that are not comprised of predictions based entirely on current trends and do not have many sources. (however, I think all scenarios should remain realistic) LurkerLordB 20:57, April 1, 2011 (UTC)
I am Ok with moving my near-unrealist-futures to a new more specific fiction wikia, but that should do well, with time, choosing a good name and category to the new wiki. Also I am a Althistory user too. Do NOT take out the "bad" works/worlds before this get a copy in the new wiki.--Fero 22:52, April 1, 2011 (UTC)
Should we delete ALL of the Ryan World Articles?Alexanders 02:30, April 11, 2011 (UTC)
For my article Ultra Petribus I am making a list of Presidents, but I don't know much about template, I would like some help on this... thank you Alexanders 23:25, April 21, 2011 (UTC)
Are we ever going to do anything with this wiki? Alexanders 15:29, July 5, 2011 (UTC)
A Futurology Wikia needs influences! Edit
I came across a wikia that needs some articles and insight!