The U.N. has 5 permanent members. They are The United States, Russia, China, France, and England. One of these countries can veto any U.N. action. In 2007 China vetoed the U.N. resolution to stop the genocide in Darfur. China buys oil from the perpetrator Sudan.
The inability to raise capital keeps poor countries poor. In Egypt registering a lot on state land takes 15 years. A permit to build a house on former farm land takes 11 years to aquier. 92% of city dwellers and 83% of people in the countryside live on dead capital in Egypt. The dead capital in the world is worth more than 40 times all foreign aid sense 1945. To legally register a one man cake shop in Cairo takes 500 days to complete all government paperwork. It takes 30 minutes in the United States. In Zambia, 90% of workers are employed illegally. They are not registered. They have no Medicare or pensions.
Solutions to Poverty
Finding solutions to the problems and harnessing the opportunities of the 21st century The James Martin 21st Century School at the University of Oxford
- 2000 6 billion people 3 billion without safe drinking water and sanitation.
- 2045 8.9 billion people
- The population rate at which the population stays constant is 2.1
- In China one in four will be over 60 by 2020.
- Educated girls that are able to read have lower fertility rates.
- Fertility rate in desitute countries is 8.0.