Migration is an issue that elicits heated views from all sides of the political and economic spectrum. In the 21st century, we might expect a new wave of mass migration.
There are 5 forces that may cause it:
- Huge cross-national inequalities in wages and standards of living.
- Differences in labor demand across countries.
- Population growth imbalances (aging populations of wealthy countries needing younger workers to support pension systems).
- The growing interconnectedness of the world.
- More jobs are becoming location-specific, like nurses and retail salespeople.