Mega-projects are large scale national or international projects. They usually have a specific goal and often require developing new technologies or even fields of science. Mega-projects are similar to Wonders of the World as portrayed in Civilisation.
Past mega-projects Edit
- 2,500 BCE Egyptian pyramids.
- 2,200 BCE Sumerian ziggurats.
- 200 BCE Great Wall of China.
- Transatlantic telephone cable.
- 1825 The Erie Canal
- 1914 The Panama Canal - involved moving more mass of raw material than any other project ever built by humans.
- 1956-1992 Interstate Highways.
- 1969 Apollo 11 Moon Landing.
- 2003 Human Genome Project.
- The Internet
Current mega-projects Edit
- Nasa Space program.
- International Space Station (ISS)
- International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER).
- RoboCup project (TBD 2050)
- [Hadron Collider]
Possible future mega-projects Edit
- Human Cognome Project
- Proteome project
- Solar Space Colonization
- Reversing Global Warming.
- Space elevator
- Terraforming MarsLuna and/or Venus.
- Interstellar Space Colonization.
- Dyson Sphere
Promising technologies Edit
These are similar to mega-projects in that they give high payoff and can be accelerated now by an appropriate R&D investment. They don't necessarily produce a large impressive "artefact", however. :)
- Artificial Intelligence - 
- Renewable Energy
- Genetic engineering
- handheld water purification
- The Thousand Dollar Genome
- $100 laptop
- Fuel cells
Megaprojects global Edit
Investment objects. Megaprojects.
Megaprojects,mega investment projects.
Innovations,mega projects management,investment objects.
Projekte für Investitionen.
Progetti di investimento.
- Enlarge Our Minds to an Idea that is Out of This World - an interesting comparision of a Erie Canal project with a Space Elevator project.
- Watch Bill Clinton talk in this video (about 30% in) about $3bn in civilian research to get nano.
- Лукьянец тоже пишет о мегапроектах (RUS): http://www.transhumanism-russia.ru/content/view/207/116/
- Megastructures are one type of mega-project.