Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Paul Allen, Microsoft multi-millionaire, has donated $100M to further brain research. $40M of that has funded a detailed 3D map of the mouse brain, linked to a gene expression database.
Stanford University Conference 2001
Bob Horn at the conference Identified:
Immediate and Short Range Goals
- Standardised clip art and diagram sets for all major disciplines. Medical and military sets apparently lead the way. Architects and electronic engineers also have standard symbols.
- Visual representations of collaborative mental models. In computing we have, for example, UML diagrams. This is a grand way of describing existing techniques like mind-maps, family trees and timelines.
- Agreed "Periodic Tables" of domain information. Data-type tagged XML information formats agreed.
- Computer tools used for interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Database of "common sense". See for example CYC. Linked visually (somehow).
- Ubiquitous Smart Sensors.
- Automatic production of diagrams from text.
Intermediate and Long Range Goals
- Training courses in visual representation of knowledge.
- Standard visual templates available for business meetings.
- On line computer tutors available on web.
- Problem of 'fuzzy boundaries' of ideas cracked.
- Amazing breakthroughs in many fields, as nano-cogno-bio convergence happens.
Cancer Genome Atlas
A similar genetic identification has been proposed for the cancer and disease genes. Research of the Cancer Genome Project is currently under way.