Grand Duchess Michelle was the second wife of Prince Richard and the stepmother of King Matthew I. She met Prince Richard while his son was in law school and they got married while he was running for Governor of Massachusetts. When Matthew I became king, his father was granted the an obligatory princely title, but as she was the new spouse of a divorcé, and a divorcée herself, she was not allowed a princely title. Therefore, Congress granted her a grand ducal title with the designation of Berkshire. She had two daughters, Andrea and Heather, with her former husband, but as she was never the custodial parent they were not allowed any royal or aristocratic titles of any kind. She and Prince Richard divorced ten years after they married, citing irreconcilable differences. As Prince Richard did not remarry in her lifetime, she was allowed the title Grand Duchess Michelle until her death in 2050.
Titles and Styles
- November 9, 1969 -- April 30, 1988: Miss Michelle Dawlins
- April 30, 1988 -- July 1, 2002: Mrs. Michelle Perry
- July 1, 2002 -- July 14, 2012: Miss Michelle Perry
- July 14, 2012 -- August 26, 2015: Mrs. Michelle Cates
- August 26, 2015 -- May 10, 2025: Her Serene Highness Lady Berkshire
- May 10, 2025 -- February 14, 2050: Grand Duchess Michelle