Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Education in the field of futures studies has taken place for some time. Beginning in the United States of America in the 1960s, it has since developed in many different countries. Futures education can encourage the use of concepts, tools and processes that allow students to think long-term, consequentially, and imaginatively. It generally helps students to:
- conceptualise more just and sustainable human and planetary futures
- develop knowledge and skills in exploring probable and preferred futures
- understand the dynamics and influence that human, social and ecological systems have on alternative futures
- conscientize responsibility and action on the part of students toward creating better futures.
Thorough documentation of the history of futures education exists, for example in the work of Richard A. Slaughter (2004).
While futures studies remains a relatively new academic tradition, numerous tertiary institutions around the world teach it. These vary from small programs, or universities with just one or two classes, to programs that incorporate futures studies into other degrees, (for example in planning, business, environmental studies, economics, development studies, science and technology studies). Various formal Masters-level programs exist on six continents. Finally, doctoral dissertations around the world have incorporated futures studies. A recent survey documented approximately 50 cases of futures studies at the tertiary level.
- Australia: [Australian Catholic University
- Australia: Swinburne University of Technology
- Argentina: Universidad Nacional de La Plata
- Australia: Curtin University of Technology
- Australia: University of Sunshine Coast
- Colombia: Universidad Externado de Colombia
- Colombia: Uniandes
- Czech Republic: [[Charles University of Prague
- Finland: Finland Futures Academy, FFRC, Turku School of Economics and Business Administration
- France: Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers / LIPSOR
- Germany: Institut für Zukunftsforschung und Technologiebewertung, Berlin
- Hungary: Corvinus University of Budapest
- Italy: Gregorian University
- Mexico: Monterrey Institute of Technology
- Pakistan: [Pakistan Futuristics Institute]
- Romania: Babes Bolyai
- Russia: Moscow State University
- South Africa: MPhil Futures Studies Stellenbosch University
- Taiwan: Tamkang University
- Taiwan: Fo Guang University
- USA: Global Options
- USA: University of Hawaii]
- USA: University of Houston-Clear Lake
- Global Futurists [Podcast lecture series examines topics about the future.
- USA: Regent University
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found