Existential risks are risks that threaten humanity's existence.
Classification according to probability and danger
- killer natural virus.
- alien invasion
- asteroid impact
- simulation shuts down
- gamma ray burst
- supervolcano eruption
- black hole impact
Wouldn’t kill everyone, but still worth preventing
- nuclear holocaust
- runaway climate change
- repressive global dictatorship
The really important ones
- superintelligence - not just AI - but superhumans too
- deliberate misuse of nanotech (arms race, nanoweapons)
- accidental misuse of nanotech
- killer artificial virus
- antimatter holocaust?
- particle accelerator disaster
Ways to counteract
- friendly superintelligence
- nanofactory restrictions
- universal sousveillance
- ocean habitat
- subterranean habitat
- antarctic habitat
- space habitat
"Grid of risk"
|Nuclear weapons||Hybrid/designed diseases||Arms races||Neural implants|
|Solar weapons||Full-fledged hyperdisease||’Grey goo’||Wireheading|
|Kinetic weapons||Artificial life (nanobiotech)||Thermal limit||Superintelligence|
Source: Comprehensive List of Existential Risks, Part 2 by Michael Anissimov