The 22nd century century is the current century of the Common Era, in accordance with the Gregorian calendar. It began on January 1, 2101, and will end on December 31, 2200. It is the second century of the 3rd millennium. It is distinct from the century known as the 2100s, which began on January 1, 2100 and will end on December 31, 2199.
Transitions and changes
The first years of the 22nd century have thus far been marked by the rise of an interplanetary economy, mistrust in private enterprise, deepening global concern over balkanization and an increase in the power of Mexico. The human population began the century at 11 billion and grew to about 12 billion within the last 30 years.
In contemporary history, the 22nd century began with the United States and Mexico as world's two global powers with Poland and Brazil as two major regional powers.
The completion of the Mars Terra-forming Project in 2122 marks the continual rise of geoengineering sciences, which makes mankind's long-held dreams such as repairing the Earth's biosphere more realistic. The development of chronoscopic technology in the 2110s remains controversial, as direct surveillance of past events often contradicts established religious and cultural dogma, and poses a threat to privacy.
The US Department of Energy and Mexican Secretariat of Energy agree that more than half the planet is experiencing random energy shortages.
Quantum Entanglement opened up the science of chronoscopology, the study of images from the past. While quantum imaging from the past was only achieved in 2120, remnants of the Earth Working Group have used the technology to design ways to rebuild many ancient structures that have fallen into ruin.
Politics and wars
- 2099-2102 – The Interplanetary Trade Commission (ITC) formally blockades the Mediterranean Union, starving much of Europe in the process.
- 2102 – Sicily's government is dissolved following public outcry over rising food prices. After several similar incidents and insurrections the MU effectively collapses by the end of the year.
- 2100-2103 – Riots across northern Europe over food shortages are put down after a US military intervention in France. A number of operations in Germany by American and Intermarium militaries restore order in German breakaway republics.
- 2102-2106 – Second Vietnam War began after riots over the election 2101 resulted in a military coup. Chinese and US forces invade to restore order while Mexican operators distributed weapons and armour to fuel a civil war. The conflict ended with a ceasefire in 2106, though the conflict is technically still ongoing.
- 2108 – Mexico outfits several asteroids as colonies, effectively ending American hegemony over space.
- 2107-2110 – Khuzestan war breaks out after Arab Nationalists storm the Provincial capitol building in Ahvaz, killing the premier and declaring independence. Most of Iran's military was engaged in the Azerbaijan conflict in the North at the time of the attack, allowing the Khuzestanis to operate with impunity for the better part of a year. Iran was forced to acknowledge the breakaway state's independence in 2110 so as to concentrate their efforts against Azerbaijan.
- 2106-2111 – A civil war in China was fought after Veterans of the Second Vietnam War march on Beijing in protest of the Federalist government delaying their pensions led to rebellions within the Chinese military. Southern China was in open revolt by 2107 and an attempted coup that was stopped by the American invasion in the Summer of 2107. A provisional government was established in Shanghai under a military regime, and the conflict continued into 2111 before a ceasefire was negotiated.
- 2121 – Pope Clement XV dies and David Kenny is elected Pope Alexander IX
- 2130 – The Bradbury Riots on Mars end in the violent quelling of the Second Martian Revolution
- 2132-2134 – The Second American Civil War begins when several states in the American Southwest secede to form the United States of Aztlan.
- 2134–Present – Mexico invaded the southwestern United States on December 9, 2134, and annexed the separatist Aztlan states. The conflict became a catalyst for warfare between various American, Mexican, and Polish proxies around the planet.
Science and technology
- 2108 – Pluto's satellite Hydra is converted in the largest O'Neil ship in history to provide terraforming supplies and several thousand colonists for Epsilon Eridani 2.
- 2114 – First contact is made with the most technologically advanced species to date on a moon in the Dorado constellation. They are roughly as advanced as humanity was during the early 20th Century, with internal combustion vehicles and the beginnings of powered flight. mankind teaches them and becomes their companions
- 2130 – 22 "Dead Planets," now occupy the NASA planetary registry.
- 2104 – National Chronoscopy Lab opens in Boston, taking the first high resolution images from the past.
- 2114 – The Colossal Neutrino Detector's first scans of energised particles from deep space begin.
- 2125 – Mexican Researches detect the first conclusive evidence of other universes.
- 2130 – Jovian physicists have statistically demonstrated the existence of the Graviton.
Intelligent Programs are banned by the US Congress after several Itskov androids pass Turing Tests after professing a desire to live free from their owners.
- The Earth's population was about 11 billion at the start of the 22nd century.
- The Martian population was about 3 billion by 2130.
Economics and industry
- The Late-2120s economic crisis continues to affect the economy worldwide.
- space economy overcomes the world economy
Issues and Concerns
- Balkanization. Advances in automated manufacturing, the expansion of neural interfaces, and relatively bloodless conflict up until the Third Mex-American War have resulted in unprecedented breakdown of nation-states.
- Overpopulation. The Earth's population reached 11 billion at the turn of the century. Such a population creates many economic and political disruptions. In response, many countries have adopted policies which either force or encourage their citizens to have fewer or no children at all, and others have limited immigration. This is largely the result of prolonged lifespans from new medical technologies.
- Non-human rights are a major political issue in many places, with marriage between human and non-human partners being legalised in several jurisdictions during the first two decades of the century, but outlawed by constitutional amendment in other places.
- Poverty. Poverty remains the root cause of many of the world's other ills, including famine, crime, and civil unrest. With unemployment at record heights, even wealthy countries are now experiencing the effects of rampant poverty.
- Energy shortages and blackouts are becoming more frequent, due to the escalating demand for energy. As robotic systems continue to control the lion's share of the terran economy, energy demands are expected to remain high during the rest of the century.